Friday, July 8, 2011

Fun and Funky Altered Canvas

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me! And where am I on this wonderful day of mine? In the big city of Atlanta at the Scrapbook Expo working with a great bunch of gals in the Basically Bare booth. If you're in the area, we'd love to see you!

How often, at thirty-something, do you have a "first"? Well, I can say this is my very first canvas and I think I just might be addicted!

For those who have not yet wandered into the world of mixed media, don't let it scare you. Creating this canvas couldn't have been easier. I started with an 8x8 primed canvas and covered the entire surface with a generous coating of Liquitex Gel Medium. While the gel medium is till wet, take small pieces of tissue paper and just randomly apply it to the surface and crumple them as you go. By crumpling the tissue paper, it will create a wonderful texture to the canvas. Once the entire surface of the canvas is covered with tissue paper, apply a thin layer of gel medium over the canvas and set aside to dry overnight.

Once the canvas is dry, take several different colors of acrylic paint and randomly paint the canvas. And if you don't like how it turns out, let the paint dry and you can paint over it. Once the paint is dry, use a dry brush technique and apply a very thin layer of Liquitex Iridescent Medium. The iridescent medium will add just a hint of shine and shimmer to the canvas.


Now, on to the next layer of texture! I used the Basically Embellies Chipboard Hearts and painted them black. Once the paint was dry, I added a layer of Liquitex Glass Bead Medium. Set the hearts aside to dry overnight. And, I learned something about the durability of the chipboard too. Even with a layer of paint and thick mediums, it didn't warp or curl, a plus in my book!


For the last bit of texture, I used the Basically Embellies Felt Dress Forms and the Basically Embellies Canvas Wings. The wings were paints with Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze and then attached to the back of the dress form. For the dress form, I wrapped the waist with a bit of fiber.


So go out, lose your inhibitions (your artistic inhibitions that is), and have fun. You never know where a bit of artistic freedom will lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails