Monday, April 22, 2013

Mason Jar Pincushion

I'm not much of a sewer.  In fact, me and sewing machines don't get along well at all.  But on occasion,  I do want to add a few stitches to a project.  Somehow, I have managed to collect a small amount of thread, bobbins, and straight pins and need a good way to keep them all organized.

So I decided to make my own storage container/pin cushion.  The best part of this project - it was made completely with items I had on hand.  So what do you need to re-create this project: a Mason jar and lid, white fabric, stuffing, stamps, and markers. That's it!


I started with a 6x6 inch piece of scrap fabric and randomly stamped flowers.  


Next, I colored in the flowers.  I used the following Zig Fabricolor markers: Black, Yellow, Violet, Cobalt Blue, Green, Light Green, and Pink.  And because you know I can't complete a project without some sort of shimmer, I added a bit of sparkle using my Wink of Stella pens in Gl. Clear and Gl. Dark Pink.



 To set the ink and to get the wrinkles out of the fabric, I gave the fabric a quick run under an iron.  To create the pincushion itself, I took a small amount of cotton stuffing and hot glued it to the bottom of the inside lid of a Mason jar.  Then I simply wrapped the fabric over the stuffing and glued the fabric in place on the bottom of the lid.


How cute is this? Now I have the perfect place to stash not only my straight pins when I get the urge to sew something, but the jar itself now holds all my bobbins in one place.


Simple and functional.  What more could I ask for in a project?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails