Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Steampunk Decor

Seems like forever since I've had a change to actually sit down and work on a project, or even type up a blog post.  Well, I had a fun scrappy day with friends at my house this past Sunday.  And I was finally inspired to complete a project.


My inspiration for this project started with the "I'm 2 Pretty To Word" charm.  When I saw it in the store, I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but I know it was going home with me.  Then I noticed a bare wooden bird sitting on the shelf and inspiration struck.

So you're probably asking how I put this little guy together?  Ok, so let's get started!  First things first, I used my Zig Paint FX pen in Black around the edges.  Once that was dry, I used a Zig Woodcraft marker in Antique Metallic to add some highlights.  Then I added strips of a paper from a dictionary and adhered it to the bird with gel medium and set it aside to dry.  Then, using my Zig Art and Graphic Twin in Cornflour Blue, Brushables in Pure Pink, and Waterbrush, I added color to the book pages.  I simply brushed the waterbrush against the marker nibs and applied the color to the pages until I was happy with the outcome.


Next up, I created the wings.  I took small strips of cardstock and covered them with regular kitchen foil.  Then I ran the pieces through my Cuttlebug to add some texture.  Lastly, I added a bit of color using my Zig Painty FX pen in LT Blue.  Keeping with the steampunk theme, I added a few watch mechanisms to the bottom of the wings and to the tail.  Of course, I couldn't resist adding a flower. :)


For the eye, I again used a watch piece that I outlined with my Painty FX pen.   The hat is a Basically Bare chipboard die cut.  All I did was use my Zig Chalk Writer in White to add a few details to the edges.  Since it was already a sold black chipboard piece, it didn't require a lot of fuss.

2 comments:

  1. Literally just come from sb.com where I spied this little beauty!! So pleased you did a step by step as it's so inspired. I like anything related to steampunk & I do have a bird blank, although he is very chunky? Book pages are being used everywhere right now & even though I can't bare thought of destroying a book, it looks amazing!
    Love the foil technique on wings & with that eye & hat he's a chirpy chappy!! TFS. Caroline (cardgirl on sb.com) :))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails