Monday, September 10, 2012

Bring Your Own Sunshine Canvas

I recently had the pleasure to work with May Arts ribbon, and let me tell you, I was a gal in ribbon heaven!   Here's what I created with all that ribbon goodness.

When I sat down to work on this canvas, I originally envisioned a fall themed project, full of reds,oranges, and browns.  However, as I started laying down color, the canvas took a completely different spin.  Which is not a bad thing - now I have a super girly canvas with a summery feel to it.



To start, I painted the entire canvas with black gesso.  Next, I next I mixed a few different colors of mica powder with water to make a slurry, then painted the mixtures over the dried gesso.  The color and shimmer of the mica powders just pop on the black background.


Then, I used an acrylic frame from the Fanciful Frames II set.  I wanted just a hint of color on the frame, so I inked my embossing folder and then quickly ran the piece through my Cuttlebug.  The stars were inked with Tsukineko Brilliance Galaxy Gold ink. The sun was painted with crackle paint, and once dry, I added a bit of my mica powder slurry mixture.


Next, I inked my white net ribbon several different shades of yellow and oranges and cut the ends into points.  The ribbon was then layered over several different patterned papers. The two acrylic stars were inked with StazOn ink.



And to finish off the piece, I used a chipboard dress form, which was heat embossed and then covered with Glimmer Glaze.  For the skirt, I really wanted something super feminine and poofy.  I took  my flowers ribbon and cut out the flowers so I could layer them on the skirt.  Since I wanted the dress to really stand out on the dark background, I purposefully left the flowers white and uninked.

Basically Bare items used:
-Dress Form
-Fanciful Frame Set II
-Celestial Shape Set

May Arts items used:
-White Net ribbon
-Sheer Frayed Flowers Wired ribbon

Tattered Angels items used:
-Glimmer Glaze Mellow Yellow

WOW items used:
-Sour Lemon embossing powder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails